The Elizabeth River Tunnels Project
Elizabeth River Crossings (ERC) is developing the Elizabeth River Tunnels Project in conjunction with the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT), working to bring an efficient, linked transportation network for the Hampton Roads area.
About the Project
The Elizabeth River Tunnels Project is located in the cities of Norfolk and Portsmouth, Virginia, and includes:
- A new two-lane tunnel under the Elizabeth River adjacent to the existing Midtown Tunnel;
- Extending the MLK from London Boulevard to Interstate 264 (I-264), with an interchange at High Street.
- Minor modifications to the interchange at Brambleton Avenue/Hampton Boulevard in Norfolk;
- Maintenance and safety improvements to the existing Midtown Tunnel;
- Maintenance and safety improvements to the existing Downtown Tunnel;
- Long-term 24/7 maintenance, operations, management, snow removal and incident response in the Project area;
- An annual subsidy to Hampton Roads Transit to increase bus and ferry services between Norfolk and Portsmouth to the highest level of service—providing improved interconnectivity and low-cost, convenient alternatives to driving.